A Few More Things You Need To Know About Breast Augmentation
Posted April 30, 2013 in Breast Augmentation, by Dr. Fiorillo
What Is Breast Augmentation?
This is a surgical procedure done on a woman’s breast which involves the insertion of breast implants to enhance the shape and size of the breasts. Augmentation mammoplasty is the other name for breast augmentation and it’s one of the most popular plastic/cosmetic surgeries for women.
Why Undergo Breast Augmentation? Who Can Get Their Breasts Augmented?
Every woman can have her own personal reasons why she wants to undergo breast augmentation. However, most often the reason is simply because women want to have bigger and better-looking breasts.
Women might also be drawn to breast augmentation because of the following situations/reasons:
- Usually Pear-shaped women or women who are bigger on the bottom compared to the top want to balance out their bodies by having bigger breasts. That way they can have a figure that is more similar to an Hourglass.
- Women who have lost weight or were previously pregnant or breastfeeding have the tendency to lose tissue volume in the breasts.
- Some women are born with asymmetrical or uneven breasts, where one is slightly larger than the other. This is known to be common and not life threatening for women though. However, if there is a significant difference and you don’t like looking at it in the mirror, you can go for breast augmentation.
- There are also some cases where women still have underdeveloped breasts even after puberty. This is usually more common in women with boyish or rectangular figures.
- Women who simply don’t like the way their breasts look either because of their shape, pointy-ness, etc.
- Slightly older women who have breasts that are starting to lose their firmness.
However, before you relate to the situations above and make an appointment, be sure to go over these traits of a good breast augmentation candidate:
- It’s important that you have good overall health. This is because you’ll be able to heal faster if you’re generally healthy. Probably the biggest health barrier that can make the surgeon think twice about giving you a breast augmentation is if you’re an active smoker.
- You should also have a stable body weight. You have to be at or close to your ideal BMI to be a good candidate for breast augmentation.
- You have to be at the right age, which will depend on the implants you plan to get. For saline implants, you have to be 18-years-old or older. However, for silicone implants, you have to be 22 or older.
- Your expectations regarding the outcome of the procedure should be realistic. Surgeons are only there to fix your physical appearance, but they can’t do much for your emotional state.
How is the Procedure Done?
Breast augmentation is not that complicated of a procedure and it’s even easy to understand and follow. It’s as simple as cutting a small or medium-sized opening on certain areas of the breasts, inserting and properly placing the implants, and closing the opening.
If you want to have a better visualization of what goes on during the breast augmentation surgery, here is the procedure laid out step-by-step:
- Before the surgery, you’ll first have to discuss the type of implants which best suit your body type. You’ll also have to discuss the recommended type of anesthesia, whether it be intravenous sedation or general anesthesia.
- After every important detail is cleared out, you can set an appointment for the right surgery date.
- Before the surgery takes place, you’ll be put under the anesthesia you and your surgeon settled on.
- Once the anesthesia kicks in, the surgeon will make either of the following incisions:
- Periareolar Incision
- Inframammary Incision
- Transaxillary Incision
- Afterwards, the surgeon inserts the implants into the breast pocket and positions them according to either of these placements:
- Submuscular Placement
- Submammary/Subglandular Placement
- The incisions are then closed using either of the following instruments:
- Skin Adhesive
- Surgical Tape
What Else Happens During The Surgery?
Expect the procedure to last for a minimum of one hour to as long as three hours, sometimes a little longer. The length of time the procedure can take will depend on the degree of enhancement/enlargement a patient wants.
You don’t have to worry about pain as you’ll be comfortable through the procedure thanks to the anesthesia. General anesthesia is more used over the other option, but there are cases where intravenous sedation is more suitable.
There will be several monitors present so the surgeon and the other doctors can keep an eye on important vitals such as your blood pressure, oxygen circulation and pulse. Afterwards, once everything is done, you’ll be transferred to a recovery area.
What Happens After Breast Augmentation?
Whether it be a minor or major surgery, recovery is often tough to handle alone. That’s why it’s important to have a support group waiting for you back home in the form of family or friends.
Patients often undergo the worst pain during the first 48 hours after the procedure, but the good news is the pain will recede as the days wear on. Plus, the doctors usually prescribe the ideal pain medication you can take to cope with the pain a little better.
Initially it’ll be difficult for you to even lift your arms and your breast can feel tight and extremely sensitive as the skin adjusts to the added mass. There may also be times where your skin will feel itchy and warm.
Swelling and some discoloration are normal reactions of the body after it undergoes a traumatic procedure coupled with the insertion of new body parts. Normally after a month, the swelling and discoloration will lessen.
All of the pain and discomfort are normal after the breast augmentation procedure. However, if the pain persists and is particularly too painful, consult your doctor right away.
Where Can I Get My Breasts Augmented?
There are several clinics in America with skilled plastic surgeons who can perform breast augmentation, one of these clinics is in NY. In fact, New York is probably one of the best places to find a surgeon who specializes in breast augmentation.
In fact Dr. Michael A. Fiorillo, one of the best in the field of cosmetic surgery, is in New York. Dr. Fiorillo is a world-renowned double board certified cosmetic surgeon who has authored plenty of books and publications about plastic surgery. He’s a dedicated surgeon who’s always seeking ways to improve his technique by joining trainings inside and outside the country.
So set an appointment with Dr. Fiorillo, and also research and look more into the procedure itself. That way, you can be a 100% sure that breast augmentation is definitely what you want and need.
Stock images of models are used throughout this website and should not be interpreted as actual patients of our practice. Individual results may vary.