Skin Changes As You Age – Here’s How!
Posted March 05, 2019 in Skin Care, Skin Procedures, by Dr. Fiorillo
When we’re young, we don’t think about our skin much – when we’re older, it’s a totally different story. And, just like anything else, our skin is affected by the natural aging process. Television network, Discovery Fit & Health, explored this subject in a recent article called, 5 Ways Your Skin Changes as You Age. And, as the article points out, “No matter how careful you might be, the effects of aging always take an inevitable toll.” Want to know what to watch out for?
Borrowing from Discovery’s list, here are 5 skin changes you can expect, along with a few ways plastic surgery can help:
- “Your Skin Develops Wrinkles.” There are few skin changes more common – or troubling – than facial wrinkles. Thankfully, there’s a lot we can do about it! When it comes to “dynamic” creases such as frown lines and crow’s feet, patients will often opt for a Botulinum Toxin Type A procedure – typically, BOTOX® Cosmetic or Dysport®. Essentially muscle relaxers, these injectables work to significantly diminish the appearance of lines.
- “You Get Age Spots.” They go by many names – age spots, liver spots, solar lentigines – but no matter what you call them, these small brown patches can be a problem. While usually not a medical concern, many patients look to tackle age spots with a chemical peel treatment. Varying in strengths, peels work to remove the damaged, outer layers of the skin, achieving a fresher, more youthful appearance.
- “Your Skin Begins Sagging.” Facial sagging and drooping is often an inevitable part of the aging process. Thankfully, there are ways plastic surgery can help. And, there are few treatments more effective than facelift surgery. Shaving years off the appearance, a facelift works by tightening underlying muscles and redraping the skin around the neck and face.
- “Your Skin Thins.” As we age, the skin can become thin and patients lose facial volume. In these situations, a dermal filler like Restylane® can often be effective. Restoring a more youthful face shape, fillers like Restylane add volume to the skin and “fill in” the valleys of deep-set wrinkles.
- “Your Skin Becomes Drier.” As we age, the skin produces less oil, and can ultimately become dry, dull and flaky. While there is no “quick fix” for dry skin, a good hydrating moisturizer can do wonders.
Cosmetic Surgery NYC
Stock images of models are used throughout this website and should not be interpreted as actual patients of our practice. Individual results may vary.