Breast Augmentation In NJ: 5 Myths Debunked
Posted March 07, 2017 in Uncategorized, by Dr. Fiorillo
As breast augmentation has become popular in NJ and the rest of the world, and with any thing popular, misinformation is abound everywhere you look. We’d hate for one of these myths to prevent anyone who is honestly interested in breast implants from coming to our office and speaking with us. Dr. Fiorillo, noted plastic surgeon in NJ, wants to clear the air and make your breast enhancement research a little less headache inducing.
Below are five popular misconceptions about breast implants circulating around NJ:
- Breast implants rupture frequently -This is one of the most common myths a woman may come across while researching implants.Many people give overly inflated numbers about implant rupture, making it seem like getting an augmentation is a sentence to constant surgeries to replace broken implants.As you may have guessed, this is not true. The Institute of Medicine has estimated that breast implantrupture occurs in only 10% of silicone implants after a period of 5 years and 7% after 7 years in the case of saline implants.
- Implants interfere with mammogram readings -While researching for your breast enhancement, you’re certain to come across articles claiming that breast implants will hinder a mammogram’s ability to detect cancer. Though this is technically true to a certain extent, the perpetrators of this myth do not take into account that radiologists are very good at what they do, and are skilled in manipulating the breasts and angles in order to get a full view of the chest.
- You will lose your health insurance if you get breast implants –While there have been cases where women getting breast enhancement surgery, this is highly uncommon. We recommend checking your insurance policy on breast implants, making sure you understand the terms completely.Be sure to ask about any potential premium increases, and any lapses in coverage during the preliminary stages of the surgery.
- Breast implants cause your breasts to start sagging faster –Breast sagginess is mainly hereditary, as well as influenced by outside factors like gravity and age.While breast implants do add additional weight to your breasts, the rate at which they begin to sag has already been determined by your genetics.
- Implants prevent breast feeding -Nursingcan sometimes become difficult only in caseswhere women chose to get the incision around the nipple and areola. These days, however, the incision is often placed underneath the breasts or under the armpitsto assist in hiding the scars.
Dr. Fiorillo is one of the top plastic surgeons in NJ, specializing in breast augmentation, breast lifts, and breast reconstruction surgery. He has been practicing plastic surgery in New Jersey for over a decade, is double board certified, and a respected author in the aesthetic medicine community. If you are interested in a breast enhancement surgery, contact him today to schedule a personal consultation.
Stock images of models are used throughout this website and should not be interpreted as actual patients of our practice. Individual results may vary.