Posted October 29, 2010 in Plastic Surgery Tips
You hear about it often, that people are planning ‘plastic surgery vacations' as they bunker down in an overseas location to get a cosmetic procedure done and recover. While it may sound like a different way to spend your time post-surgery and may even sound appealing, going to Costa Rica, Korea or any other international destination when you're an American citizen is not necessarily your wisest choice. It's often believed that plastic surgery overseas will be lighter on your wallet and that the same caliber of doctor's will perform your procedure. In many cases these are myths, and here are some reasons why plastic surgery overseas is not your best choice.
1. Medical standards may differ – American doctors have the highest caliber of medical training. While cosmetic surgeons overseas may claim to be qualified to perform your procedure, if their medical license is from another country, they may have a different approach or a lower-level of training than American surgeons.
2. Doctors in different countries aren't better qualified to perform surgery on people of a local nationality – believe it or not, this is not an uncommon belief. Plastic surgeons are trained to work with facial features and are familiar with different structures and looks. The same applies when surgery is performed on other parts of the body. Just because a surgeon in Korea may have had more experience working with individuals that have Korean features, doesn't mean that they are any more qualified to perform surgery on someone that is of Asian background.
3. Aftercare may differ – while no surgeon hopes for any complications, the reality is that they can happen after plastic surgery whether it takes place in the United States or overseas. Just because there are qualified plastic surgeons in the desired overseas location, doesn't mean that there would be the same quality of care for standard treatment or aftercare.
4. You're a long way from home – if there were any complications, keep in mind that you're likely to be stuck in the country you're visiting longer than planned. You can't travel a long distance immediately after surgery and could find yourself away from home for an extended period of time without access to support from friends and family members.
5. The cost savings isn't substantial enough – the statement “you get what you pay for” is true here. Yes, some plastic surgeons abroad do charge less than in the United States. But, you never want to go for the cosmetic surgeon with the lowest prices. Also, the cost of travel and medical overseas will counteract any savings and could lead to even more if problems arise!
Stock images of models are used throughout this website and should not be interpreted as actual patients of our practice. Individual results may vary.
Life is meant to be lived fully and enjoyed thoroughly. The skilled plastic surgeons and aesthetic professionals at Advanced Plastic Surgery & Medspa are here to help you protect and maximize your beauty for a lifetime, so you can make the most of each moment. Schedule your consultation today.