Plastic surgery recovery can be stressful if you don’t know what to expect and haven’t planned ahead. You should talk to your doctor about specific recovery tips based on the procedure you’ve had done, but in general, there are a few things you should know that will reduce your stress level and make plastic surgery recovery as easy as possible:
- Know that you won’t see the final results immediately – it’s not uncommon to look worse before you look better and see the true results of your cosmetic surgery. Once healing begins and the swelling and bruising begins to fade the positive results will show!
- Find out when you’ll be allowed to take a shower or bath – patients find it tempting to come home and jump straight into the shower in order to wash away the hospital scents, but it’s not typically safe to do so right away. For some procedures, you may be allowed to take a shower or bath within a day or two, and with others it can be a week. Make sure you find out before doing something that could compromise your recovery.
- Elevate your head – if you’ve had facial surger, keeping your head elevated for the sake of circulation can improve healing time and reduce the likelihood of complications.
- Check with your doctor to ensure that your natural medications are safe – if you take vitamins or herbal medications, you should check with your doctor to ensure they’re safe after surgery. Just because they’re natural doesn’t mean they can’t be harmful!
- Use sun protection – it’s important to protect sensitive surgical sites from the sun so stay covered up or use sunscreen in exposed areas.